2008.02.20 NANOG 42 IPv4 PTR queries for unallocated space

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Thu Feb 21 15:43:19 UTC 2008

On 21/02/2008 07:22, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> I know of at least one large telecom provider which is using 100/8.
> In my opinion,
> this should not be a reason to delay the use of these addresses for a
> legitimate
> purpose.  Rewarding address squatting simply isn't a good thing.

No one is attempting to reward address squatting.

The main reasons for this work are to try and quantify the scale and
distribution of the problem. I hope that with some more data and a fuller
analysis we will find that there isn't anything major to worry about.

But if the problem is significant, I'd like to be able to pre-warn people so
that they can take prepare themselves for it. That might mean doing simple
things like tweaking technical support and fault finding procedures,
possibly something else.

Regards,

Leo