2008.02.20 NANOG 42 IPv4 PTR queries for unallocated space

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu Feb 21 10:43:00 UTC 2008

On 21 feb 2008, at 11:07, Joseph Jackson wrote:

> How come RFC 1918 addresses aren't real enough?

Because they look like RFC 1918 addresses.

On 21 feb 2008, at 11:30, Andy Davidson wrote:

>> For instance, I do a training course where people need to configure
>> routers, and I use addresses out of 96.0.0.0/8 for that, because it
>> has to be clear that we're talking about real addresses and not RFC
>> 1918 stuff.

> Do you think you could consider some of the rfc3330 ranges like TEST-
> NET - 192.0.2.0/24 - or if you need more than one network,
> 191.255.0.0/16 ?

Nothing is impossible, but shoehorning stuff into a small range
doesn't make for a realistic training setup.

>> Would it be useful for IANA to publish the order in which they're
>> going to allocate /8s? That way, it's easier for people to plan
>> getting out of the way of real deployment in time.

> Well it's a pretty safe bet that most of today's unused /8s will be
> allocated within the next couple of years !

That's true. (Well, it's more like three years: there are currently
41 /8s available and last year, 14 were allocated to the RIRs.)

I guess that means that people who want to use "off-label" address
space should probably use the legacy /8s that are assigned but don't
show up in the routing table.