IPV4 as a Commodity for Profit

Eric Brunner-Williams brunner at nic-naa.net
Wed Feb 20 02:19:59 UTC 2008

David Conrad wrote:

> John,
>
> On Feb 19, 2008, at 11:40 AM, John Curran wrote:
>> I imagine that there are many potential outcomes.  For example,
>> in a world where ICANN/IANA (who seems to very much want to
>> be in charge of all this)
>
> This is almost amusing given the _mutually_ agreed role for ICANN/IANA
> in address allocation, but I guess we all need our bogeymen.
>
>> actually did IP block revocation of unused
>> blocks per RFC2050, we'd likely not be having any discussion of a
>> relaxed transfer policy, as a result of the complete lack of need.
>
> To my knowledge, ICANN has neither the ability (given the mutual
> agreements between ICANN and the RIRs) nor the desire to intrude upon
> the RIR's bailiwick in this way.  I find it somewhat surprising that
> after 10 or so years of trying to ensure ICANN didn't get into the
> RIRs business that you're suggesting they do so now (I seem to
> remember someone telling me "IANA should be a black box where the RIRs
> crank the handle and /8s pop out, nothing more").
>
> However, this misses the point.
>
> The people who control the Internet address space are not the RIRs or
> ICANN.  Control is vested in the ISPs who decide what is routed or not
> routed.  In effect, the ISPs have agreed to use the RIRs as a neutral
> meeting point to avoid negotiating a myriad agreements on who has the
> right to announce what.  This only works as long as it is in the best
> interests of most (in particular, the big parties) to play along.  As
> soon as policies begin to impact those best interests negatively, the
> policies will either be modified or ignored.  If they are ignored, the
> vacuum will be filled by someone (whether a private entity or
> governments/ITU isn't clear at this point).
>
> A market already exists.  Whether it is done by buying/selling a
> company for its IP address assets or just simply buying the address
> space outright and paying an ISP to not look at a RIR whois server
> isn't particularly relevant.  As the IPv4 free pool exhausts, that
> market is going to get much bigger, much faster.  It would be nice if
> this market were somehow self-regulated by the industry players
> involved since failing that implies something I suspect none of us
> want. However, the current path appears to be to not do anything until
> it is too late.
>
> Perhaps we could agree that not doing something until it is too late
> would be bad?
>
>> Would the ISP community support adherence to RFC 2050 and
>> route accordingly?  It certainly has to date, and nearly every RIR
>
>> policy has been build accordingly.
>
> And IPv4 address space has been essentially free to date. That _is_
> changing as you well know.
>
>> It might result in some legal
>> work, but that's a small price to pay to further operational stability
>> of the Internet.
>
> As far as I can tell, the best way to ensure instability is for ISPs
> [...]
Agree with David.

If it isn't the structural change proposal (scrap the original
constituencies for contractual and non-contractual, with subdivisions
within contractual for type of contract, and within non-contractual for
type of non-contractual), then no one who cares about the balance of
power within the GNSO will give it a moment's thought. If it isn't IDN
(more personal caveats than most), then no one who cares about ICANN's
next couple of years will give it a moment's thought.

So, no. As fun as the v4 pool looks to be, the g-side, the cc-side, and
the more-bits-than-7-side have wicked bigger fish to fry.

Have fun,
Eric