IPV4 as a Commodity for Profit

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Wed Feb 20 00:06:03 UTC 2008

David Conrad wrote:

> Steve,
>
> On Feb 18, 2008, at 11:33 PM, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>>> This is a strong argument for regulation of the market.  A regulated
>>> market could provide liquidity needed by those who would otherwise
>>> find <unregulated> means to accomplish their ends (such as making
>>> private deals that are perhaps undetectable).
>>
>> I have no problem with regulating markets -- I tend to think they work
>> better that way.
>
> Given the decentralized nature of the Internet and the lack of a single
> legal/policy regime that covers it, the challenge is in identifying
> viable candidates for the regulator.

That is a big challenge in this space, considering that there is no
particular national alignment in the address structure.

The approach in the proposals so far is to attempt to create a framework
around recognition of market-based outcomes that act as implicit
constraints on the market. The proposals so far for recognition of
address transfers in ARIN, RIPE and APNIC all attempt to define a class
of transactions that would be regarded as eligible for entering in
their respective address registries. That said, they each propose a
different set of constraints!

    Geoff