IPV4 as a Commodity for Profit

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Tue Feb 19 19:08:20 UTC 2008

Owen DeLong wrote:

> This would create significant legal challenges and costs.

I dont understand how they could prevail. Suppose I decided to tell
people that as far as I was concerned this 32 bit number up to that
32bit number would be available for their use in whatever manner they
wanted, like printing them on t-shirts, and that they would have the
privilege of paying me for the guarantee that I would do so uniquely.

Barring a prior agreement, what grounds does any third party have to object?

For that matter, aside from consensus and inertia, what would stop the
operator community as a whole from setting up shop with a "forked"
registry that had no contractual agreements with anybody prior?