IPV4 as a Commodity for Profit

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Feb 19 16:20:13 UTC 2008

Joe,

On Feb 19, 2008, at 4:28 AM, Joe Maimon wrote:
> When IANA free pool exhaustion happens or even appears to be
> imminent, one can expect push for allocation policies to be changed
> drastically towards the miserly.

No.

You might see a push towards this, but it will take far longer to get
policies modified than there will be time left and there will be
increased 'competition' among the RIRs that will strongly discourage
this course of action (as someone who has proposed a policy that would
impose more restrictions on v4 allocations, I have already heard the
"if we modify our policies to be more conservative, then the folks in
other RIRs will get an advantage" several times).

The RIR bureaucracy is a ponderous ship that turns very slowly and has
multiple captains who do not necessarily agree on the direction to
turn.  IPv4 allocation policy revisions aren't going to save us.

> Furthermore, I expect more credence will be lent to the reclaiming
> efforts, and pre-RIR swamp space has lots of candidates.

What incentive to a holder of early allocations is there to return
address space voluntarily?

> Class-E,

Efforts to redefine class E have stalled because there is simply no
way it can be used for anything other than private space.  There are
too many implementations out there that will never be modified (e.g.,
Windows 98) on which you can't even configure class E space.

> rfc3330 and similar reclamation might occur as well.

IANA recently reclaimed 14/8.  I think that added 3 _weeks_ to the
expected runout date.  That was likely the last "easily" reclaimable
block.

>> The  question is how ARIN will deal with the market after the IPv4
>> free  pool exhausts.
> I expect the value will skyrocket, whether on the black, grey or
> white market.

Yep.  And the question is: as an ISP or other address consuming
organization, what will you do when the cost of obtaining IPv4
addresses skyrockets?  So far, as far as I can tell, the answer to
that question (in most cases) has been putting hands over ears and
saying "La la la" loudly.  See <http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/020608-ipv4-address-depletion.html
 >.

Regards,
-drc