IPV4 as a Commodity for Profit

Eliot Lear lear at cisco.com
Tue Feb 19 12:44:25 UTC 2008

Per Heldal wrote:
> Growth is king, also in networking. How can a v4 market meet the demand
> of an expanding global network beyond a short-lived gold-rush?  A
> price-tag may create an incentive to sell, but doesn't create more units
> or magically solve other problems (e.g. fragmentation). Many are those
> who look forward to a v4 market. Not to invest in in, but because will
> be the most powerful catalyst driving the transition to v6.

I personally agree with all that you say, but it doesn't mean that a
market isn't useful.  In particular, can it be useful in a transition
from IPv4 to IPv6 to those who are not in a position to easily move from
one to the other?  They would pay a premium to move based on scarcity
already, but if there is no motivation to bring unused blocks into the
market, then they won't show up.  And that is sufficient motivation for
a black market, a market that governments themselves couldn't play a
constructive role in (buying OR selling).

Eliot