IPV4 as a Commodity for Profit

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Tue Feb 19 06:36:39 UTC 2008

On Feb 19, 2008, at 5:48 AM, Roderick Beck wrote:

> Hmm ... There is a market for brownstone apartments in NYC and also
> for Cezanne's paintings and farmland ...
>
> There are plenty of markets that function well despite the absence
> of 'production'.

Not especially illuminating comparisons, but I'm happy to indulge.
If access to address resources is nothing more than an aesthetic or
status concern, then brownstones and Cezannes are fine comparisons.
Farmland is a better comparison, but you're wrong to add it to your
list. It is constantly being created, and (more frequently)
destroyed, e.g., when forested land is cleared, or countryside gets
converted to subdivisions.

If you had said "land" itself, that would be been much more apt, at
least if you think about what land meant back in the 19th century and
earlier, when it was synonymous with self-determination (in both in
economic and political sense).

> By the way, supply is not production.
>
> Supply how much will be offered for sale.

Excellent observation.
The quantity that can be offered for sale is a subset of the quantity
that can be produced.
If the latter is open-ended, so the superset is unbounded, then those
capable of offering something for sale tend to take that into account
when deciding when and for what price to put what they have on offer.
Sell now, or someone else will. Sell now, because there's no reason
to assume that your terms will be better later.

Now try that in reverse.

> So I am totally unconvinced at this point.
>
> By the way, since markets do not involve compulsion.

Oh I see. If I had realized that libertarian posturing and not actual
problem solving was the impetus for this thread, I wouldn't have
bothered to chime in.

> So why not give it a try?

Because some mistakes can take decades or longer to correct.