IPV4 as a Commodity for Profit

Brandon Galbraith brandon.galbraith at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 17:18:14 UTC 2008

On Feb 18, 2008 11:05 AM, Rod Beck <Rod.Beck at hiberniaatlantic.com> wrote:

>  <snip>

Markets have proven to be excellent mechanisms for allocating resources
> fairness is a distinct issue) and might be the medication required given the
> apparent hoarding of IP addresses.
>
> Nor is the trading of IP addresses inconsistent with ARIN ownership.
>
> Regards,
>
> Roderick S. Beck

Markets have a history of efficiently allocating resources, this much is
true. My concern is when IP allocations are based on fiscal merit instead of
technical merit. Also, don't forget speculators within a market. Do you
really want the price of IP blocks bid up by "IP day traders"?

-brandon