No GTLD inconsistency (was Re: GTLD inconsistency, was: Re: AAAAs in the Root and /48 Filtering)

Larson, Matt mlarson at verisign.com
Tue Feb 5 15:12:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> # dig @h.root-servers.net GTLD-SERVERS.net. ns
> [The expected response to this query--a normal referral to .net name
> servers--omitted for brevity]
>
> However, I'm thinking this is the reason why BIND isn't using that glue:
>
> # dig @2001:503:a83e::2:30 GTLD-SERVERS.net. ns
> [The expected response to this query--a normal referral to
> gtld-servers.net name servers--omitted for brevity]

To recap, you queried a root server for gtld-servers.net/NS and got a
referral to the .net zone's name servers, which is to be expected.
Then you followed up and sent the same query to a .net name server
(via its IPv6 address, but that's irrelevant) and got a referral to
the gtld-servers.net name servers, also the expected response.
Everything is fine here.

I believe you might be confused by one or the other of the responses
because you might have been expecting something else.  But only if the
two responses agreed would something have been wrong.

> I.e., the roots and the GTLD servers disagree on who is authorative
> for gtld-servers.net.

No, they do not.

Matt