[admin] Re: Fourth cable damaged in Middle Eest (Qatar to UAE)

Brandon Galbraith brandon.galbraith at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:18:06 UTC 2008

On 2/4/08, Kee Hinckley <nazgul at somewhere.com> wrote:

> If you know that someone wants to cut your cables.  What defense do
> you have?  Is there any practical way to monitor and protect an
> oceanic cable? Are there ways to build them that would make them less
> discoverable? Some way to provide redundancy?  A non-physical solution
> involving underwater repeaters? Or is this like pipelines in Iraq?

While reading the hacker tourist article someone posted from Wired many
years ago, it mentioned that as the FO cable comes closer to shore, more
extreme measures are taken to protect it, including fluidizing the sand
underneath the cable to cause the cable to sink under, and then stopping the
fluidizing process so the sand compacts above it. I'm unsure how practical
this would be along a substantial link of cable though. (Although, burying
the cable under compact sand seems like it would protect it from a whole
host of dangers).

-brandon