Fourth cable damaged in Middle Eest (Qatar to UAE)

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Mon Feb 4 07:12:46 UTC 2008

On 04/02/2008, at 4:38 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> I agree with Rod Beck as far as the speculations go. It could be
> terror,

Well, no, it couldn't be.  Nobody is being terrorized by this.  How
can it possibly be a terrorist incident?

If it's deliberate, it might be described as an "information warfare
tactic."  But not terrorism.

(visions of some guy sitting a in cave with a pair of wet boltcutters
laughing maniacally to himself, cackling, "Ha-ha!  Now their daytraders
will get upset, and teenagers will get their porn _slower_!  Die
American scum!"   Doesn't really work, does it?)

Politicians have succeeded in watering down the definition of the word
"terrorism" to the point where it no longer has any meaning.  But we're
rational adults, not politicians, right?  If we can't get it right,
who will?

   - mark

Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au
  (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:
newton at atdot.dotat.org  (H)
Internode Systems Pty Ltd                 Desk:   +61-8-82282999