Blackholes and IXs and Completing the Attack.

Ben Butler ben.butler at c2internet.net
Sun Feb 3 22:18:51 UTC 2008

Hi,

<snip>
"your point here is that perhaps instead of this scheme one would just
advertise the max-prefix-length (/24 currently) from a 'better' place on
your network and suck all the 'bad' traffic (all traffic in point of
fact) for the attacked destination via a transit/peer/place which can
deal with it properly?

This isn't a bad solution, and it gives you some control on the traffic
stream, it does have the penalty to everyone else of 'one more route in
the RIB/FIB'... which I think was Ben's vote against this method. (also
not a bad vote...)"
</snip>

Personally, I would achieve this using multiple sinkholes at the edge in
IGP rather than advertising an extra /24 in BGP to suck it to one
router.

PA Deagregation as evidenced in some of my other posts is a pet hate of
mine. PI space (and for that matter v6 PI please) is not - especially if
we clean up the act on the PA front.

Because, my research into anti DoS is still work in progress, I was
going to sort out traffic mitigation through completing the attack
first, then move on to investigating classification using sinks, and
then worry about scrubbing / source filtering last.

I just haven't got around at looking at sinks and scrubbing yet.

I fully accept there is no single silver bullet for all situations and
circumstances, but equally a tactic should be as effective as possible
when it is selected and deployed - which started this thread.  And I am
trying to advocate being able to extend completing the attack beyond
just transit feeds that is all.

I don't know about other people our multiple Internet Exchange peak
interconnect capacity versus our transit peak capacity is a significant
%.  While effectively securing my AS as a whole against the sources that
reach me via transit, currently I cant do the same trick with XPs.  Now
the number of end host systems that I reach via peers is obviously a lot
less than transit but the potential is still there as an unsecured
ingress which could cause problems either through router/wan overload or
interconnect congestion causing packet loss for other traffic.  Either
isn't good.  In the absence of an alternative, it appears that in the
scenario that I am under DoS, have blackholed a /32 to transit but my
interconnect with an IX is saturated to the detriment of customer
traffic - that the only thing I can sensibly do to resolve the situation
is to temporally admin down / remove my prefix announcement from the IX
peerings to shift the load to transit.  This also doesn't seem very
sensible.

Kind Regards

Ben