IPv6 Connectivity Saga (part n+1)

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Sun Feb 3 00:19:13 UTC 2008

Thomas Kühne wrote:
> On Saturday February 2 2008, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
>> On 2 feb 2008, at 11:42, Thomas Kühne wrote:
>>> I took a DMOZ[1] dump
>> What's a DMOZ dump?
>
> DMOZ: http://www.dmoz.org/about.html
> # The Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human-edited
> # directory of the Web. It is constructed and maintained by a vast, global
> # community of volunteer editors.
>
> A DMOZ dump is the complete data set including directory structure, links and
> descriptions. I've use this source because other lists are either too small or
> contain a lot of spam.

I'd like to hear more about the methods that led to your summary, and,
if possible, take a look at the raw data.  It sounds to me like you took
the dump file and parsed it so that all of the URLs could be sorted by
domain.  Did you then do DNS lookups on each domain name (or hostname?)
and see how many had AAAA records?  Did you also look at NS records (I
am assuming you did)?  I understand what TLDs and NSes are, but I don't
quite know what you mean when you say things like "thus a cross check
via TLDs' NS."

As for raw data, at the very least, it would be useful to get a list of
the resources that have some form of IPv6 brokenness, so that those of
us who would actually like to provide our information resources over
both IPv4 and IPv6 can get to work on fixing it.

I personally am concerned that there are some islands of poor v6
connectivity out there that are having problems reaching v6 resources,
even though other parts of the v6 world are able to reach those
resources just fine.  Because we may only be able to test from "good" v6
locations, we can't see what's wrong at the "bad" v6 locations.

michael