IPv6 Connectivity Saga (part n+1)

Thomas Kühne thomas at kuehne.cn
Sat Feb 2 23:24:36 UTC 2008

On Saturday February 2 2008, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 2 feb 2008, at 11:42, Thomas Kühne wrote:
> > I took a DMOZ[1] dump
>
> What's a DMOZ dump?

DMOZ: http://www.dmoz.org/about.html
# The Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human-edited
# directory of the Web. It is constructed and maintained by a vast, global
# community of volunteer editors.

A DMOZ dump is the complete data set including directory structure, links and
descriptions. I've use this source because other lists are either too small or
contain a lot of spam.

> > IPv6 failure rates of 4.3% (TLD) and 6.1% (NS)
>
> What does TLD and NS mean?

TLD: Top Level Domain (e.g. .com, .us. org)
NS: Name Server - in this case Domain Name Server (DNS)

> >  43 : broadcast address
>
> ?

Sorry, the same error message is also triggered by some firewalls.

> Another factor is that with IPv4, you need to be pragmatic, because if
> you don't, you have no connectivity. With IPv6, you can impose
> arbitrary restrictions as much as you want, because IPv4 makes sure
> there is always fallback connectivity anyway.

Maybe, but the most frequently encountered errors were time outs and
those usually degrade performance drastically.

Thomas