Sicily to Egypt undersea cable disruption

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Sat Feb 2 02:42:04 UTC 2008

On Feb 2, 2008, at 8:56 AM, George William Herbert wrote:

> However, despite the "attractive target" angle of what got busted,
> and the proximity of the breaks to Islamic Terrorist problem spots,
> I don't see a statistical or evidentiary case made that these were
> anything but the usual occasional strings of normal random problems
> spiking up at the same time

My instinctive reaction was to recall the Auric Goldfinger quote as
smb did - after reflection, however, it's highly unlikely that these
issues are the result of a terrorist group action simply because, just
like the economically-driven miscreants, the ideologically-driven
miscreants have a vested interest in the communications infrastructure
remaining intact, as they're so heavily dependent upon it.

There are always corner-cases like the Tamil Tiger incident, and
people don't always act rationally even in the context of their own
perceived (as opposed to actual) self-interest, but I just don't see
any terrorist groups nor any governments involved in some kind of
cable-cutting plot, as it's diametrically opposed to their commonality
of interests (i.e., the terrorist groups want the comms to stay up so
that they can make use of them, and the governments want the comms to
stay up so that they can monitor the terrorist group comms).

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // 408.527.6376 voice

	Culture eats strategy for breakfast.

            -- Ford Motor Company