IPv6: IS-IS or OSPFv3

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Dec 31 00:21:41 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 31 December 2008 03:14:13 am Roque Gagliano
wrote:

> at least in my case, I did turned ISISv6 in one WAN
> interface where the router on the other side (a Cisco)
> did not have the "ipv6 unicast routing" general command
> on and the isis adjacency went down completely. So, yes
> that was an issue.

One of the things I'm hoping Cisco can fix in not-too-
distant future releases of IOS.

> But if you enabled IPv6 in both ends
> first and then one interface at the time, it worked.

What we saw on our test segment was that v4 adjacencies were
not torn down by merely enabling IS-ISv6 on an interface
(given that JunOS enables IS-ISv6 by default when IS-IS is
enabled on the router; in IOS, you have to explicitly turn
IS-ISv6 on).

v4 adjacencies were torn down *after* an IPv6 address was
added to the interface. We witnessed this issue under both
IOS and JunOS.

Cheers,

Mark.