Failover solution using BGP

Naveen Nathan naveen at calpop.com
Wed Dec 31 00:08:32 UTC 2008

Hi,

I would appreciate insight and experience for the following situation.

I have a client that would like to announce a /18 & /19 over BGP in
Sacramento and LA, us being the second location in LA. Our location
will be a failover location incase Sacramento goes down.

They want failover for extreme cases when they're completly down in
Sacramento. They have strict requirements so that traffic to their blocks
should exclusively go to Sacramento or LA.

This seems difficult to automate and they are aware of this. They will
contact their provider to stop announcing the blocks and subsequently
contact us to announce their routes.

I am wondering is there a better way to approaching the situation
without resorting to announcing the routes when the client calls us
and tells us to failover. This seems to be the inherent problem aswell
because the customer wants this to be a manual process.

--
Naveen Nathan

To understand the human mind, understand self-deception. - Anon