What to do when your ISP off-shores tech support

chaim.rieger at gmail.com chaim.rieger at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 18:36:09 UTC 2008

Actually the resell sbc primarily.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

-----Original Message-----
From: "Matthew Black" <black at csulb.edu>

Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 10:31:42
To: Etaoin Shrdlu<shrdlu at deaddrop.org>; <nanog at nanog.org>
Subject: Re: What to do when your ISP off-shores tech support

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 10:10:33 -0800
  Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu at deaddrop.org> wrote:
> Matthew Black wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 09:51:41 -0800
>>  "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb at byrneit.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Cox Communications has fully on-shore support. Here in SD they are
>>> actually LOCAL.
>
>> In Verizon land, residential customers do not have
>> CLEC voice or DSL alternatives. We do not have Cox.
>> Our area is served by Charter Communications who has
>> the broadband cable monopoly. Verizon has the fiber
>> monopoly with their FIOS. AT&T fiber is not possible
>> in Verizon land. Nobody competes against Verizon for
>> residential service in Southern California.
>
> Sir, both COVAD and DSLExtreme beg to differ. Seriously. I just checked.
>
> --
> The histories of mankind are histories only of the higher classes.
>
> Thomas Malthus

Going through COVAD's interactive DSL chooser,
there are no options for RESIDENTIAL service.

<http://covad.com/web/index.html>

DSLextreme is charging a higher price than Verizon
and I suspect they are simply reselling Verizon's
DSL rather than connecting my copper to their
network. That's hardly what I consider CLEC service.
I could be wrong and would switch if I could. But I
don't see them offering voice and that's why I conclude
they are reselling Verizon's DSL service.

matthew black
california state university, long beach