What is the most standard subnet length on internet

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sat Dec 20 04:31:31 UTC 2008

On Dec 19, 2008, at 10:53 AM, Joe Abley wrote:

> It'd be nice if some grad student somewhere with friends in the
> operations community was to experiment with /24s carved out of
> larger blocks from all over the planet and present some empirical
> data.

We don't need a student.  We have actual networks doing this every day
without any issue, so we know it works.

A research project could verify every last corner of the 'Net is
accessible to /24s carved out of larger blocks, but the 'corners' tend
to be more forgiving of things, it's the people in the "middle" who
think they are too big or too important to listen to the little guys
which cause problems.  Little guys tend to not be so .. uh .. well,
you can figure out what I mean.

I believe there was a project on reachability of /24s which were _not_
carved out of larger blocks, although I can't find it right now.  That
might be more interesting.

--
TTFN,
patrick