Gigabit Linux Routers

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Thu Dec 18 16:55:18 UTC 2008

> I have posted thos off-list, for the list:
> http://www.lannerinc.com/DM/FW-7550_DM.pdf
> pros: cheap, cf-disk support, low power (~50W)

cf-disk support is pretty easy to add to lots of things.  With the advent
of 4GB compact flash modules and CF-to-IDE adapters, it is not too hard
to avoid rotating media...

> OS:
> Freebsd:
> pros: very stable, quagge runs very well, fastforwarding support,

quagga OSPF needs a patch on FreeBSD 7, else it will decimate your OSPF
environment.

>  	simple traffic shaping, interrupt less polling supported

Several different traffic shaping strategies are available, and I think
all of them go far beyond "simple".

> cons: only 1 route for each network, vrrp failover is not easy to
>  	implement with quagga and ospf, no multipath routing

carp seems easy to implement, even with quagga and ospf.  At least, it's
set up on a lab setup here and everything appears to work as expected.

... JG