Advice requested for OpenBSD vs. Linux/OpenBGP vs. Quagga router deployment.

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 16:51:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 8:55 AM, Beat Vontobel <b.vontobel at meteonews.ch> wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
>> I saw from previous email that Quagga was recommended as opposed to
>> OpenBGP.  Any further comments on that?  Also,  any comments on the choice
>> of OpenBSD vs. Linux?
>>
>> I don't want to start a religious war :-) Just curious about what most
>> folks are doing and what their experiences have been.

For the past couple of years we've had good success running Quagga
border router/firewall boxes on Debian booting from Sony Microvault
1GB USB. Standard Debian install with some minor mods to make it USB
friendly (noatime, a few /dev/shm links.) Once you've got used to apt,
it's hard to accept anything else.

I know lots of people prefer a stripped down system, but if you're
running the same basic services (BGP, SSH) I don't see the difference.

Disclaimer: we only take default from our upstreams, so can't comment
on Quagga and full routes.

Tim:>