Gigabit Linux Routers

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Wed Dec 17 22:13:06 UTC 2008

>>>>> "chris" == chris  <chris at ghostbusters.co.uk> writes:

chris> All the responses have been really helpful. Thanks to everyone
chris> for being friendly and for taking the time to answer in detail.
chris> I've asked a hardware provider to quote for a couple of x86
chris> boxes and I'll look for suitable Intel NICs too.

chris> Jim: We're a very small ISP and have a full mix of packet sizes
chris> on the network but the vast majority is outbound on port 80 so
chris> hopefully that'll help.

chris> Any more input will of course be considered. I may post the NIC
chris> models for approval if I'm scratching my head again :)

It's also worth saying that you should consider using FreeBSD ---
which uses an r-tree for routes (constant time lookup) and is not
flow-based.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can be          |
|Mail:       dave at daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |