Gigabit Linux Routers

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Wed Dec 17 14:21:23 UTC 2008

I've been pretty happy running IBM x-series hardware using RHEL4.
Usually it's PPS rather than throughput that will kill it, so if you're
doing 250Mbit of DNS/I-mix/HTTP, you'll probably have very different
results. There are some rx-ring tweaks for the NICs that are needed, but
on the most part it's all out of the box (No custom kernel patches, and
such - Just some sysctl settings).

I have two x3650s (Quad core) doing around 6-700Mbit/sec (40k pps) at
around 20% CPU right now. No Quagga BGP, but that's minimal in terms of
CPU. I've not been able to get much beyond 1Gb/sec on this environment
because my ASAs are not configured to support more than one Gig into
that particular network.