Security Intelligence [Was: Re: Netblock reassigned from Chile to US ISP...]

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Dec 14 20:33:31 UTC 2008

On 08.12.15 05:08, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 05:51:13PM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
>> but you need to be much more specific about what you want from
>> medium and smaller isps, and what the immediate payoffs (cf. the
>> financial secions of the newpaper) will be to them to justify the costs.
> Inferior people look solely for financial payoff.  Superior people
> recognize their fundamental obligation to prevent their operation from
> being a menace to others, and do it based on ethics.

nice and glib.  but we have limited resources, and they're gonna get
more limited and less resources.  so we allocate them based on how we
perceive need and relevance to running the actual network.  and we just
can't do everything.  so when ferg says "i exhort and folk don't jump,"
perhaps there could be a problem with the exhortation not the lack of
ethics on the part of the operators.

randy