Netblock reassigned from Chile to US ISP...

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Dec 13 12:39:47 UTC 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:33:51 -0800
"Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb at byrneit.net> wrote:

> Because anyone with half a brain blocks proxies from their e-commerce
> site.

What is a proxy?  A garden-variety squid server, in the DMZ of a
corporate firewall?  The nasty box in some hotels that "helps" guests
surf the net?  A socks proxy installed by the RBN on unsuspecting
desktops?

I *always* use a squid proxy server; if nothing else, it protects me
when I'm using a wireless network.  I've never had a problem (though
now that Google thinks that Randy's machines are in Japan, I'm
expecting some trouble...)