UDP DoS mitigation?

Rick Ernst ernst at easystreet.com
Fri Dec 12 20:47:36 UTC 2008

Replying to my own since there are currently about a dozen responses.

- Hardware/ASIC routers are a consistent response.  We are currently
  evaluating Juniper for other reasons, but I'll add DoS mitigation to
  mix.
- Upstream involvement: We get transit from 701, 1239, etc.  I've had
  mixed results getting timely responses from our upstreams.  It's useful
  for long-term issues, but I need as much local and timely  control as I
  can get.
- I'm not having a problem with pipe bandwidth, but high pps.
- uRPF and RTBH helped internally, but anything passing through that
  upstream connection was impacted.
- This instance was a DoS, not DDoS.  Single source and destination, but
  the source (assuming no spoofing) was in Italy.  Turning off netflow
  seemed to help, but the attack itself stopped at about the same time.

Also, thanks for the offers of individual help in mitigation, although I'd
be concerned that "Hey, can somebody block traffic {from} or {to}?" would
be an interesting experiment in a socially-engineered DoS.

Finally, there were some suggestions "S/RTBH".  RTBH I get, but my
Google-fu is weak on S/RTBH.  Details?

Thanks,
Rick