Stress Testing LAN/WAN

Brad Fleming bdfleming at kanren.net
Thu Dec 4 23:37:38 UTC 2008

With iperf, you can use the -d option to initiate a "real-time
parallel" test (my term). You can also use the -r option to run a
"trade-off parallel" test (again, my term).

To see the other options iperf offers:
http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/resources/guide/software/iperf/

Sounds like you might also be interested in the -B option. When
coupled with multiple interfaces, you can pretty easily test QoS
configs by sourcing from different interfaces / IPs (if that's your
identifying characteristic).

KanREN uses iperf on Mac Minis running OSX 10.5 with great results.
The newer Minis can pretty easily push 950+Mbps if you run 4 or more
streams (-n option). Or at least that has been our experience.

I would also suggest doing some TCP buffer tuning if you anticipate
round-trip latency to be >20ms. Here are some general guidelines for
various platforms:
http://fasterdata.es.net/TCP-tuning//

--
Brad Fleming