Telecom Collapse?

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Thu Dec 4 17:52:24 UTC 2008

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Wayne E. Bouchard <web at typo.org> wrote:
> > That the old ILECs are having problems due to the fact that few if any
> > of them know how to run a decent business is not exactly news. IMO, it
> > might be best if some of them were finaly placed in the position of
> > figuring out how to come into the 21st century and actually compete
> > for business.
>
> I wasn't going to say anything, but as long as you brought it up ...
>
> http://www.renesys.com/blog/2008/12/fiber-to-the-home-ideal-econom.shtml
>
> Outlandish and bizarre, yes, but perhaps no more so than the other things
> you read in the
> papers these days?    --jim

Yeah, outlandish and bizarre:

http://www.newnetworks.com/broadbandscandals.htm

We already *PAID* for that system.  Well, ownership of strands aside, it
would have been similar.

And the thing is, years later, we have people coming along and thinking
that this is in any way visionary or innovative.  (That is NOT meant as
an attack on you, the authors at New America, or the idea, but rather an
attack on the most fantastic bit of spin and propaganda manipulation that
has allowed the ILEC's to get away with this, almost completely unnoticed,
so that nobody even remembers what was promised.  Can you feel the
despair?)

So, the question is, how do we reclaim these funds from the ILEC's?
Or how do we force the ILEC's to produce the system promised, and release
it from their monopolies?

In an environment where cities are getting ticked off and deploying fiber
(Monticello, MN) and then getting sued for doing so (TDS Telecom) even
after the carrier initially refused to do such a deployment, I am really
very strongly in favor of this sort of self-determination.

... JG