Telecom Collapse?

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Dec 4 16:54:35 UTC 2008

Paul Bosworth wrote:
> On a personal note, when I worked in telecom I never once saw a cell tower
> that was down due to power loss. Every tower I have worked with had some
> form of power generation, be it natural gas or diesel. In addition, as a
> cellular service consumer I have also never experienced an outage due to
> cellular tower power loss.

The nasty Oklahoma outage a few years ago wiped out cellular big time.
In some cases it was due to power loss, in others it was loss of the
backend fiber/T1's feeding it. I know one town that lost every service
except for POTS, though it didn't help much since people were living
elsewhere to stay warm.

Of course, life gets fun in rural America.

Jack