Tcpdump data collection

Nathan Ward nanog at daork.net
Wed Dec 3 01:33:13 UTC 2008

On 3/12/2008, at 2:19 PM, Subba Rao wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to collect data on a network and map the data flow and system/
> port traffic. There are 2 scenarios of data collection here.  The
> first is to collect IP traffic only.  In this method I do not want
> the data portion of the IP packet (need IP address, source/
> destination ports etc).
>
> The second is to collect traffic that will show all the routing
> protocols (non-IP) used on this network.  Today while collecting the
> data, I saw several HSRP packets.  I don't know what portion of the
> packet is sufficient to capture for this purpose.
>
> I used the "-s 0" option on tcpdump which captures the whole
> packet.  That is making the dump file large.  Any help with the
> filters is appreciated to capture the non-data portion of the packets.
>
> Thank you in advance.

I strongly recommend having a look through this to find out what rules
you want (ie. plain English):
http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/default1002.htm

Then, go about mapping them in to tcpdump/pcap/bpf/whatever filter
format, a quick Google suggests this as a good resource:
http://www.whitehats.ca/main/members/Malik/malik_tcpdump_filters/malik_tcpdump_filters.html

You might also consider using netflow instead of tcpdump, there are
lots of tools available for processing netflow data in ways that are
useful to network operators.

--
Nathan Ward