an over-the-top data center

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Tue Dec 2 22:18:39 UTC 2008

> > But we aren't talking about the military here, are we? We are talking
> about an ISP on an ISP forum.
> >

> Yes.... but in a disaster scenario where critical communication links
> are down the military would respond and reestablish the links, if for
> nothing else to re establish situational awareness for themselves.

This is getting off-topic in a big way, but I can pretty much assure you that the US military isn't going to be re-establishing ISP circuits for the military's situational awareness. I can't speak of the Swedish military. In
most countries with a big-bad-military, the most the military will do is allow the commercial entities to expedite their own repairs and perhaps bypass certain permit requirements -- which is as it should be.

If this is the reason to build a bomb proof datacenter, I encourage all my competitors to do so.

Someone said it earlier, its far cheaper, and far more reliable to be massively redundant than super hardened in one (or a few) locations. If you think you can't afford the former, but can get the latter, you don't understand what you are solving for.

Deepak