an over-the-top data center

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at netcases.net
Tue Dec 2 21:12:59 UTC 2008

George William Herbert wrote:

> Johnny writes:
>>This discussion about plants, waterfalls and humidity is getting more
>>and more off-tropic...
>
> Humidity is not off topic for a general or specific datacenter
> conversation - it's a fairly routine issue in facilities.
>
> NANOG isn't facilities focused but I think that it comes up
> enough (we're not hosting routers in closets anymore) that it's
> legit for some discussion.
>
> The plants and waterfalls is probably drifting a bit far afield,
> though...

Perhaps not as far as one might think. I once had to work with a large
data center, which was having a huge condensation and eventual corrosion
problem on one side of the room. No one had made the connection that it
was a shared wall with the main building atrium, which had an indoor
waterfall that made quite an evaporative cooler.

Extra wall insulation solved the problem.