an over-the-top data center

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Mon Dec 1 21:55:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 16:34, Steven M. Bellovin <smb at cs.columbia.edu> wrote:
> HavenCo, which ran a datacenter on the "nation" of Sealand, is
> no longer operating there:

Which is the same story for most (if not all) of these hype-driven
"bullet-proof" data centers.

I recall a .com CEO espousing the capabilities of his
datacenter-inside-an-old-bank-vault to prevent DoS attacks such as the
one that had hit Yahoo! the week before.   I must say that the
provided dinner, drinks and Hummer Limo ride, to the DC, made the
humor of the CEO more enjoyable.   Sadly a lot of older pensioners
were eating his every word.   At that time I worked for an
equipment/services reseller and I persisted quietly, as best I could,
to save some people's life savings.   I felt like a diver witnessing a
herring infused shark fest.

-Jim P.