an over-the-top data center

Jeremy Jackson jerj at coplanar.net
Mon Dec 1 16:54:47 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-30 at 23:05 -0500, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> Now compare that to forcing every single participant to use unknown
> fiber paths into an unknown facility.  When are these fibers groomed,
> and onto which unknown paths?  Which fiber maintenance schedules might
> impact me without my knowledge?  Which construction projects elsewhere
> in the city might take me down and there's no way for me to even
> predict that?  Etc., etc.
>
> I would prefer to take my chances with the known quantity,
> thankyouverymuch.  Feel free to do with your network as you please.

I wonder if there is a solution, in general to diverse physical
routing... if you buy from multiple carriers, they might very well share
the same fibre condo, or the same dark fibre vendor.  if you buy
diversity from one vendor, with only handwaving as the guarantee, you
end up with Bell Canada's CO fire a couple years ago, that took down
things which were *supposed* to be redundant.

What are people's experience with knowing the physical routing?  NetNod
may be over-the-top secrecy wise, but are *any* carriers/facility
providers any more "free" with information about the details of where
their infrastructure is that supports the services you are buying?

It seems the general practice is to claim everything is on a
need-to-know basis, with the unspoken/unwritten caveat that nobody's
needs will ever be considered valid?

--
Jeremy Jackson
Coplanar Networks