an over-the-top data center

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Mon Dec 1 03:50:10 UTC 2008

* patrick at ianai.net (Patrick W. Gilmore) [Mon 01 Dec 2008, 02:34 CET]:
> On Nov 28, 2008, at 4:04 PM, Jean-François Mezei wrote:
>> The advantage of this swedish data centre is that even if its location
>> is well known, it is pretty hard to harm the building. You can't run a
>> truck full of explosives into it for instance.
>
> Unfortunately, you also cannot run your own fiber there, colo
> equipment there, visit it for any reason, etc.
>
> I was going to say 'this probably hinders customers adoption at
> NetNod', but I know for a fact the "probably" is superfluous.

I don't really get your reasoning here, Patrick.  What were you going
to do?  Put your servers in the same racks as Netnod's switches?  Rate
their patch fiber management skills?

I can buy the argument that there is one bit of infrastructure (a string
of dark fiber) more between your router and the IX infrastructure than
you will get in other locations but in this age of people connecting
remotely to IXPs all the time this seems pretty minor, especially given
the box full of advantages it gives the IXP operator regarding facility
security and having a very clear demarcation point.

	-- Niels.

--
"We humans get marks for consistency. We always opt for
  civilization after exhausting the alternatives."