IP Fragmentation

Glen Kent glen.kent at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 00:14:28 UTC 2008

I understand, but the question is what if they dont?

Or let me rephrase the question.

What do standard implementations do if they send a regular IP packet
(no DF bit set) and receive an ICMP dest unreachable - Fragmentation
reqd message back? Do they fragment this packet and then send it out
again with the MTU reported in the ICMP error message, or is the ICMP
error message silently ignored?

Glen