Revealed: The Internet's well known BGP behavior

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Thu Aug 28 04:20:12 UTC 2008

John Lee wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> The traceroute utility that I used gave me a list of hops that the
> packet I was interested in transited and a time when it transited the
> hop. When the TTL was reached it would terminate the listing.

But if I can control your traffic I could change everything, couldn't I?

I mean, with the ability to inject whatever I wanted, I could spoof
traceroute, yes?  I could filter for that traffic and return whatever I
wanted.

I could manufacture a series of packets showing that NYC and London were
only 10ms apart in such a case.

--Patrick