BGP, ebgp-multihop and multiple peers

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed Aug 27 07:48:01 UTC 2008

On 27 aug 2008, at 7:58, Paul Wall wrote:

>> - single loopback/single IP for all peers, or;
>> - each peer with its own loopback/IP?

> You should use caution when using loopback IP addresses and building
> external multihop BGP sessions. By permitting external devices to
> transmit packets to your loopback(s), you open the door to
> spoof/denial of service attacks.

[...]

Indeed. I would use two loopbacks, one for internal stuff that is
unreachable from the outside, another one from another range that
allows the external sessions.

But that's more a question of ease of management than of risk, because
if people can do something bad using one loopback address, it really
doesn't matter much that additional ones are better protected.