It's Ars Tech's turn to bang the IPv4 exhaustion drum

Matthew Kaufman matthew at eeph.com
Fri Aug 22 21:24:18 UTC 2008

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080817-were-running-out-of-ipv4-addresses-time-for-ipv6-really.html
>
> Well, on reading it, it's more an "IPv6: It's great -- ask for
> it by name!" piece.

This article reminded me that I really needed to stop relying on a
tunnel over my backup DSL line for IPv6 and spend the time to get my own
ISP on the road to deploying IPv6.

Step 1: Request address space from ARIN

Took <1 day to get a reply that we'd be getting the space that day, a
few more hours to receive a /32. That was easy.

Step 2: Get set up for IPv6 peering and transit

Took 30 minutes for Equinix to tell me that all I need to do is fill out
a form and I'm all set. Even quicker than ARIN.

Took a little over 2 days for my transit provider (Abovenet) to tell me
that they don't offer IPv6 transit and don't know when they will.

Native IPv6 isn't important enough for me to spend money on a new
transit provider on yet, so I guess maybe next year we'll try this again
and see what's changed. In the meantime, I need to upgrade some routers
(including some that went EOL before IPv6 support came along) anyway.

Matthew Kaufman
http://www.matthew.at