Smallest netblock that providers will accept?

William Herrin herrin-nanog at dirtside.com
Tue Aug 19 21:28:25 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 1:26 AM, Anton Kapela <tkapela at gmail.com> wrote:
> The part that Kevin spares you from reading is the "please don't"
> part. [...] Instead of going down this road, I would suggest that you:
>
> -call up cisco and purchase a GSS (global dns lb with application
> availability probes, etc)

Anton,

By the time many folks consider redundant network links for
reliability they've already made design decisions which preclude this
path. My employer is in such a situation. They'd pay the $8k or so
annual systemic cost of a prefix if only there was someone they could
pay. But there isn't and even if we could afford the manpower to alter
our system to rely exclusively on DNS, our customers and the other
vendors involved have long since built systems that expect to
reference ours by IP address.

> -attach your site to a pair of willing upstreams who already have a
> larger prefix aggregate set aside (say a /18 or something) for
> end-site multihoming, in which it is expected that the prefix will be
> originated from disparate AS's (neither of which is the actual
> end-site).

Does someone offer such a service? Who?

Regards,
Bill Herrin