It's Ars Tech's turn to bang the IPv4 exhaustion drum

Alain Durand alain_durand at cable.comcast.com
Tue Aug 19 20:28:10 UTC 2008

What I was told is that, yes, the packet get routed through the ASIC, but it
has to go there twice... Hence reducing the pps by a factor of 2 compare to
IPv4. Some vendors had shortcuts that, if the prefix len was < 64, only one
pass was necessary.

Caveat, this may not be true for all vendors or all models of all vendors.
YMMV.

  - Alain.