RouterOS performance?

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Aug 19 11:32:20 UTC 2008

Joel Jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> writes:

> I actually use freebsd as a router on soekris, but I do need a general
> purpose os on the system as well.

Speaking of Soekris (and the PCEngines ALIX by extension, of which I
have several):

Does anyone know of a comparable small SBC that doesn't have crummy
NICs?  Not a big fan of those VT6105M chips.  Extra points for the
ability to do baby jumbo frames.

Also, from time to time I have to reflash these to repurpose them
(NanoBSD vs. pfSense vs. AskoziaPBX).  It's a complete pain to
disassemble their enclosures so I can get at the CF cards.  I've often
thought that if someone had whipped up a memory-resident image of
something (anything, linux/bsd/whatever) that I could pxeboot, then I
could just dd the new image in over the net.  Haven't gotten around to
doing that yet.  Has anyone else?

-r