It's Ars Tech's turn to bang the IPv4 exhaustion drum

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Mon Aug 18 18:19:01 UTC 2008

james wrote:
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080817-were-running-out-of-ipv4-addresses-time-for-ipv6-really.html
>> Well, on reading it, it's more an "IPv6: It's great -- ask
>> for it by name!" piece.
>

> IPv6 gives me brain ache. I hear I'm not alone in that. I'd
> v6 tomorrow if I didn't have to  think about it so hard.

You just need 96 more bits in your head everywhere you store IPv4
techniques. Yes, lots of us have a brain ache with it, but I'm sure IPv4
gave us brain ache when it was new to us too.

I'm sure there are already folks in environs that are mostly IPv6 that
can spit off binary to hex to decimal IPv6 addresses. The US tends not
to be one of those environs.

It'll come.

operational content: Is anyone significantly redesigning the way they
route/etc to take advantage of any hooks that IPv6 provides-for (even if
its a proprietary implementation)? As far as I can tell, most people are
just implementing it as IPv4 with a lot of bits (i.e. /126s for link
interfaces, etc).

I know we aren't use auto-config on critical server architecture and
instead nailing in addressing like we would in IPv4. (an address hopping
firewall is not necessarily a good thing ;) ).

Deepak