RouterOS performance?

Scott Francis darkuncle at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 05:20:45 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Nathan Ward <nanog at daork.net> wrote:
> On 18/08/2008, at 12:16 PM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>
>> haven't used routeros in a while but at the time it was inoffensive, it's
>> not derived from a general purpose system so it's not something you bolt
>> additional bits on if you need them.
>
> RouterOS is Linux based.
> You're correct though, you can't bolt extra stuff on to it, though I'm
> pretty sure they do their own 'packages', so maybe 3rd parties can bolt
> stuff on that way? I dunno.
>
>> I actually use freebsd as a router on soekris, but I do need a general
>> purpose os on the system as well.
>

> I do this as well, works fantastically.
>
> I've got some build scripts that build NET4x01 images. Kernel and root
> filesystem in a single file, boot off a FAT32 formatted compact flash card
> with GRUB installed on it. Config in a single file (a filesystem image that
> gets mounted at boot time). IPv6 support.
[snip]

sounds a lot like Chris Cappuccio's flashdist[0], although that's
OpenBSD-specific.

(worth noting that I'm partial to OpenBSD here, for both the security
track record and tools like pf(4), carp(4), OpenBGPD, etc.)

[0]http://www.nmedia.net/flashdist/
--
darkuncle@{gmail.com,darkuncle.net} || 0x5537F527
 http://darkuncle.net/pubkey.asc for public key