Public shaming list for ISPs announcing other ISPs IP space by mistake

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Fri Aug 15 03:29:59 UTC 2008

On Aug 14, 2008, at 11:30 AM, David Conrad wrote:

> On Aug 14, 2008, at 9:47 AM, brett watson wrote:
>> We're lacking the authority and delegation model that DNS has, I
>> think?
>

> If one were to ignore layer 9 politics, it could be argued the
> authority/delegation models between DNS and address space are quite
> analogous.

TODAY IANA has an operational role in DNS, they don't have
an operational role in Internet routing.  This is certainly not layer
9, and most certainly the most fundamental change to the Internet
routing system that RPKI or similar systems would introduce.

To be clear: IANA and RIRs allocate or assign address space
today, they don't control any routing on the Internet (and their
own internal ASNs and IPs don't count).

-danny