Public shaming list for ISPs announcing other ISPs IP space bymistake

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu Aug 14 19:15:42 UTC 2008

> On Aug 14, 2008, at 11:13 AM, <michael.dillon at bt.com>
> <michael.dillon at bt.com  > wrote:
> > ARIN holds the top of that authority and delegation
> hierarchy because
> > they give out the ASnums and IP address blocks.
>
> And here I thought IANA handed out ASnums and IP address
> blocks to ARIN (and RIPE and LACNIC and AfriNIC and APNIC and
> the IETF for specific protocol requirements)...

We are talking Internet operations, not Internet politics.
You are right as far as that goes but it is ARIN et al. who
hand out ASNums and IP addresses to the network operators
who actually *USE* these numbers in operational networks.
People don't care where the numbers came from, they care
who actually got the rights to use them, and then what
those orgs did with the rights, i.e. an IP addr block owner
may delegate the rights to announce a subset of their space
to a specific ASnum holder.

Etc.

--Michael Dillon