Public shaming list for ISPs announcing other ISPs IP space by mistake

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Aug 13 20:56:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Jared Mauch wrote:

> 	these are all issues, but operational?  depends. If LLNW is not
> being filtered by telecom italia, time for 6762 to fix that.  If they
> persist, will you depeer them as a security risk until they clean up
> their act?

I just discovered (via bgplay) that 22822 first originated the prefix via
5511 (france telecom), then it was withdrawn a while later, and then
originated via 6762, and then withdrawn again. An hour or so between these
events.

We all know we don't filter our peers (there is no operationally sane way
of doing this today), so the question is how to make ISPs filter their
customers more sanely.

We have prefix-filters on our customer bgp sessions, so that should be
fairly safe, but I see no good way of doing this towards peers as there is
no uniform way of doing this, and there is no industry consenus how it
should be done.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se