Public shaming list for ISPs announcing other ISPs IP space by mistake

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Aug 13 20:48:18 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:04:27PM +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> The italian courts seem to have told ISPs there to block ThePirateBay
> (bittorrent tracker), and this evening (CET) LLNW (AS22822) originated
> 88.80.6.0/24 via 6762 (telecom italia) to what I presume is most of
> Europe.
>
> Basically same thing that happened when people tried to block YouTube a
> few months back (afghanistan?).
>
> How do we hinder this in the short term? I know there are a lot of long
> term solutions that very few is implementing, but would the fact that
> these mistakes are brought up into the (lime)light by a public shaming
> list make ISPs shape up and perform less mistakes?
>
> I am still waiting for a response from LLNW NOC on the issue.

	Sure.  I'd also like to see providers actually just shut
off customers that originate stuff like ms-sql slammer
packets still.  But it keeps flowing.  I'm sure there are
smurf amps and other badness still going.  codered anyone?

	these are all issues, but operational?  depends.
If LLNW is not being filtered by telecom italia, time for
6762 to fix that.  If they persist, will you depeer them
as a security risk until they clean up their act?

	I'm still amazed at the AS_PATHs that appear
out there and the providers that can't figure out how to
route.

	Why AS174 would listen to 3549 routes from AS12713
is beyond me, but it's there.[1]

221.134.222.0/24 1280 174 12713 3549 2914 9498 9583

	- jared

1 - http://puck.nether.net/bgp/leakinfo.cgi
  - http://puck.nether.net/bgp/stats.cgi?days=3

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net