Traceroute and random UDP ports

Crist Clark Crist.Clark at globalstar.com
Wed Aug 13 17:02:03 UTC 2008

>>> On 8/13/2008 at 6:13 AM, Jeff Aitken <jaitken at aitken.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 07:56:53AM -0500, John Kristoff wrote:
>> > Also, why do we increase the UDP port number with each subsequent
>> > traceroute packet that is sent?
>>
>> I don't know definitively, but I have an of educated guess
>
>>From /usr/src/contrib/traceroute/traceroute.c:
>
> /*
>  * Notes
>  * -----
>  * [...]
>  * The udp port usage may appear bizarre (well, ok, it is bizarre).
>  * The problem is that an icmp message only contains 8 bytes of
>  * data from the original datagram.  8 bytes is the size of a udp
>  * header so, if we want to associate replies with the original
>  * datagram, the necessary information must be encoded into the
>  * udp header (the ip id could be used but there's no way to
>  * interlock with the kernel's assignment of ip id's and, anyway,
>  * it would have taken a lot more kernel hacking to allow this
>  * code to set the ip id).  So, to allow two or more users to
>  * use traceroute simultaneously, we use this task's pid as the
>  * source port (the high bit is set to move the port number out
>  * of the "likely" range).  To keep track of which probe is being
>  * replied to (so times and/or hop counts don't get confused by a
>  * reply that was delayed in transit), we increment the destination
>  * port number before each probe.
>  * [...]
>  *  -- Van Jacobson (van at ee.lbl.gov)
>  *     Tue Dec 20 03:50:13 PST 1988
>  */

Yep. That explains it pretty well.

When I added an option to the FreeBSD traceroute to use a fixed
destination port with TCP or UDP traceroutes, I had to overload
the source port with the PID and the traceroute sequence number
for UDP,

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/contrib/traceroute/traceroute.c.diff?r1=1.28;r2=1.29

Not to open a whole new can of worms, but in TCP traceroutes,
which most "modern" traceroute implementations offer in addition
to UDP and ICMP echo options, you can use the TCP sequence number
as payload that will get reflected back in that 8-bytes of
IP data that come back in the ICMP time-exceeded (or in the
RST if you reach the target host).

The overall lesson is that IP traceroutes are a kludge. But
a fairly robust (i.e. you can get around/through lots of ACLs
and firewalls) one given all of the options available in a
good implementation.

--

Crist J. Clark
crist.clark at globalstar.com
Globalstar Communications                                (408)
933-4387

B¼information contained in this e-mail message is confidential, intended
only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader
of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error, please contact postmaster at globalstar.com